Things I Hate About Texas
I’ve been living in Austin, TX for three years now, and I thought that with SXSW coming up, I’d make two lists: Things I hate about Texas and Things I love about Texas. Here is the first one. And before I get any Austinites/Texans responding, “Then why don’t you move?”, I really do love it here. Please don’t kick me out.
- 1.It’s 61 degrees and there is 100% humidity.Even coming from the north, I’ve always hated the cold and I’ve never known how to dress in this nebulous 61 degree Fahrenheit weather (Is it hot? Is it cold? Is it temperate? I still don’t know!). Coupled with humidity that has been described as "Satan's Armpit", I'm often at a loss as to what to wear.
- 2.On rare occasions when it actually rains, the roads turn into Slip’N Slides.They say the roads are slicker here because the oil that drips from cars melts into the ultra-hot asphalt and makes the roads more slippery in the rain. I have the same car I had in Illinois, my hand-eye coordination hasn't regressed, yet I've experienced crazy skidding.
- 3.“Snow Days”.This is a total misnomer. “Snow Days” in Texas means that the ground is covered in ice, and because there are no salt trucks here, this makes the roads super dangerous. We had school canceled 5 days my first year due to “snow”. The first time, I tried to walk to my 9am class before it was canceled. I promptly fell on my a**.
- 4.Weird entrance/exit lanesOkay, so if you haven’t noticed, most of my complaints are about weather and driving. In Austin, there are entrance lanes on the highways that turn into lanes for the following exit. People don’t always put on their blinkers, which in heavy traffic turns into a sh*t show as you try to navigate where in the lane you can safely merge.
- 5.Crazy drivers.The road rage can get real here. http://www.khou.com/story/news/local/video/2016/01/26/watch-wild-austin-road-rage-fight-caught-on-camera/79335780/
- 6.People throwing rocks across I-35. WTF?If road rage isn't enough for you, a recent trend has people throwing rocks across I-35: http://kxan.com/2016/02/09/police-seek-new-solution-to-rock-throwing-incidents-on-i-35/
- 7.My next list will be Things I love about living in (Austin) Texas. (Spoiler alert: it’s mostly about food.)