My Best Friend Is Super Sexist: HELP!!
I consider myself a feminist because I believe people should have equal opportunities, regardless of their gender. It's no secret that 'feminism' can be a bad word for some people. I'm really working on showing people what feminism truly is, without turning them even further from the idea. Sometimes it's so hard, though!!! Pls help me.
- •I've been best friends with this guy since freshmen year of high schoolSo going on six years
- •He's a fantastic guy!Really funny, thoughtful, a true gentleman
- •BUT HE'S UNBELIEVABLY SEXISTHis mom and sister are two of the most amazing gals around and he has so many strong female friends - I don't understand how he turned out like this!!
- •He flat out said tonight that men are inherently stronger leaders than women, so he would rather have a male president than a female oneHe's not voting for trump, though, so we're good there
- •"I would just trust a male candidate more." (Me: but shouldn't you look at the individual person - their beliefs and history???) "if a man and woman had the exact same résumés, I would vote for the man"
- •"Males are always the leaders of packs, not females" (me: but we're people, not animals...) "Are we really?"HOW THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO RESPOND TO THIS?!
- •He's still a great guy and I'm going to stay friends with him, but I need advice! How do I address his sexist comments without being pushy, rude or ruining our friendship??