THE TOP TEN BOOKS OF ALL TIME, ACCORDING TO ME 📚
Inspired by @ListPrompts
- 1.The Namesake- Jhumpa LahiriMy favorite book, movie and food
- 2.Swann's Way- Marcel ProustHave not gotten through all of "In Search of Lost Time," but this first novel made such an impression on me. How could this French author, completely unrelated to my life, capture so well the feelings I have had on the fleeting nature of time, memory, and unrequited love?
- 3.An American Childhood- Annie DillardI love how obsessed she is with science as a young girl.
- 4.To Kill A Mockingbird- Harper LeeThis is also the book I've re-read the most times in my life.
- 5.Zuckerman Bound- Philip RothCheating, as this is not one book but a trilogy of Zuckerman-based books, which includes The Ghostwriter, Zuckerman Unbound, and The Anatomy Lesson. I couldn't pick just one!
- 6.The Counterlife- Philip RothThis should be considered a part of the Zuckerman series, though can be stand-alone in my mind. Wonderful look at the construction of storytelling, how much you can believe the narrator, how much the narrator relates to the author, and how the art of the novel goes beyond the story itself.
- 7.A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius- Dave EggersGot to meet Dave Eggers at a reading/signing in college circa 2000. Instead of gushing about how much I loved his book, I provided quiet admiration as he drew a picture of a shoe in my copy.
- 8.Eleanor & Park- Rainbow RowellJust a nice story on the power of pure love. This book is the definition of "squee!"
- 9.How Fiction Works- James WoodAn intriguing guide to fiction reading, with no pretention. Inspires me to read more.
- 10.Baby-Sitters Club Super Special #2: Baby-Sitters Summer Vacation😜 I know I know. Is this a joke item? Does it discredit my list as a whole? I'll just say this: some books shape your childhood...and not all of them are outstanding feats of literature.