WHY STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS APPEALS TO THE MODERN WOMAN (SPOILERS)
If you haven't seen the movie by now, turn away! I have full, unabashed plot reveals.
- •Rey is an ideal protagonistFollowing the strong hero character of Leia, and not following the weak character of Padme/Amidala (sorry, that role as written offered little heroism). Rey bests Kylo Ren in a lightsaber duel with absolutely no training. Yet it's plausible because though she posesses this strength, it's unwieldy without proper training (she's really about to strike Kylo Ren dead were it not for that huge land rift that separates them...and a Jedi would not strike her enemy down out of rage)
- •Captain Phasma (that badass chrome stormtrooper commander) is a woman!!You know how delightful it is to find out that one of the most coveted action figures that Fanboys are hoarding is a woman? And, the fact that she is a woman is not rubbed in our faces, i.e. she stays in armor through the entire movie with no cliched reveal of a "pretty face" behind her tough command. Per the actor Gwendoline Christie in People magazine: "We relate to most female characters due to how attractive they are. She is covered in armor, so it's her actions we respond to."
- •Lupita Nyong'o as Maz KanataShe's often touted as as a fresh beautiful face IRL; I like how she voices an ancient, wise character.
- •In general, there are just many more women in this movie, in purposeful roles.In "A New Hope," there were basically 3 women: Beru, Leia, and Mon Mothma ("Many Bothans died to bring us this information"). Here we have multiple women in the Resistance, as X-Wing fighters, and Stormtroopers.
- •The guy from "Girls" is the villian!Fans of @lenadunham 's "Girls" have watched Kylo Ren masturbate on multiple occasions!
- •Sean from "Felicity" is an X-Wing pilot!I know he's been in "Masters of Sex" and "Heroes," but he'll always be Sean of Sean+Meghan to me.
- •Covergirl Star Wars makeupOK, it's shallow, I know...and I'm just being a shill to the vast power of mechandising the hell out of this phenomenon...but come on, it's pretty cool in some sense: a Star Wars product particularly for women. I have the nude lipstick color, and it gives my lips a nice subtle C3P0 shimmer.