Burritos I Have Loved
I always order some version of a super vegetarian burrito (burritos are too filling to add meat to, imho), ideally in a whole wheat tortilla.
- •Sonoma Taco Shop, Santa Rosa, CA | #15 (bean and cheese burrito), add avocado, onions, cilantro, hot sauce, and sour creamThe taqueria of my youth. My mother brought me here right after some boy had broken my heart in high school and even though I sobbed as I nibbled it, the utter freshness of the salsa and the tenderness of the whole pinto beans shone through and made an impression on me. The restaurant has declined in quality a bit in the past decade, but I still go back out of loyalty when I visit my hometown.
- •Anna's Taqueria, Brookline, MA | Super vegetarian burrito, no lettuce, add hot sauceMoving across the country to attend college in Boston was one of the best decisions I ever made, but the lack of Mexican food available made me more homesick than anything (and @LevNovak hadn't yet told me about Felipe's). When I discovered Anna's, it felt like a sign from the universe that I was right where I was supposed to be. In the summer of 2003, I dated a guy with whom I spent every night on my Allston apartment rooftop eating burritos from Anna's, drinking Sam Summer, and making out.
- •El Castillito, San Francisco, CA | Whole wheat or flour tortilla (if I'm feeling indulgent), pinto beans, rice, cheese, crema (they use real Mexican crema, which is so good), avocado, onions, cilantro, hot sauce.I came here every week with a man I dated from 2006-2008. After we broke up, we met for coffee a few months after things ended and I asked him if he had been back. "Are you kidding? I can't go back there. It's way too sad." It wasn't too sad for me, though, and I still go when I'm nearby and hungry. One of the men behind the counter always draws a heart on my foil-wrapped burrito. When I'm stressed, the only thing to do is eat one of these while watching Olivia Benson solve crimes.
- •El Buen Sabor | Whole wheat tortilla, pinto beans (sometimes black), rice, cheese, sour cream, hot sauce (they make it in-house and it's great), avocado, onions, cilantroThis is the closest one to where we live and it's pretty good, so it's where @evan and I go the most. He always asks me to order for both of us, since my order yields the best burrito. Last weekend, on a warm night, we picked up burritos here and walked together to Dolores Park and ate them, sitting on the ledge of a gutted, mid-construction playground, placing little to-go cups of green and red hot sauce on the concrete between us, for dipping. Love, like burritos, is a layered thing.
- •Tacos Por Favor Santa Monica, CAThe burritos are just as good as the tacos and this place is one of the things I miss most about LA.Suggested by @Abby
- •Cosmo Cantina Durham, NCStill one of my favorite burritos ever. Opened by some college buddies while we were at school in the mid-90s. It's the first place I eat whenever I'm back at Duke. There was one in NYC for a few years but sadly it is no more.Suggested by @Abby
- •Tacos Villa Corona in GlendaleThe chicken breakfast burrito is honestly the best burrito I've ever had. And it's extremely cheap. You just have to get there early bc it closes at 2pm.Suggested by @miggles36