Famous Fictional Withholding Men
Because feelings should be a guessing game.
- •Mr. Darcy in Pride & PrejudiceOverly focused on the difference in his and Elizabeth's social statuses. Eventually comes around, but doesn't make it easy.
- •Mark Darcy in Bridget Jones' DiaryBased on Mr. Darcy. So sexy, so civilized, leaves Bridget and all of us wanting more every time he finishes sentences with a perfunctory "Right" and then leaves wherever he is without explanation. Torture.
- •Big in Sex & the CityThe fact that he and Carrie eventually got married is the biggest lie television has ever told to women.
- •Willy Wonka in Charlie and the Chocolate FactorySilly but definitely depressed oddball who owns a candy factory. Won't cut anyone a break...not even 5th graders who fail what is basically an elaborate Stanford Marshmallow Experiment.
- •Jordan Catalano in My So-Called LifeThat greasy hair, those brooding eyes, that classic car AKA "Red"...which he fucked Rayanne in, even though she was Angela's best friend. So hot, so hard to read. Also, he can't read.
- •Don Draper in Mad MenA man who is tender so infrequently that every time he is the least bit gentle or loving it makes you want to cry.
- •Peter Quinnblack ops CIA assassin, among other things... everything is mysterious about Quinn. buries his feeling so deeply that you think he's rationalized himself over the idea of Carrie and is ok. and then she reads that letter while he's on his Quinn-as-you-know-him deathbed and it's just so sad & fucked up.Suggested by @victralala