Grilled Strawberry Shortcake
Why should burgers and hotdogs get all the glory? These can be cooked on an outside grill, or on the stove in a grill pan. They take about 10 minutes to make and taste like summer on a stick.
- •Start with a plain store-bought poundcake. If it's frozen, let it thaw for a few minutes, just until it's easy to slice.Sara Lee tends to be a reliable brand.
- •Use a sharp knife to cut the pound cake into 1-inch cubes.No need for them to be perfect.
- •Set up a workstation with 10 wooden skewers, 30 fresh, de-stemmed strawberries, and the cake cubes.
- •Onto each skewer, slide 3 strawberries and 2 cake cubes, alternating one after the other.
- •Grill the skewers on a lightly oiled grill pan or over a gas or charcoal grill, over medium-high heat, just until the strawberries char and the cake gets slightly crisp. Flip and cook on the other side.This should only take a minute or 2 per side.
- •Serve warm, with fresh whipped cream and mint sprigs, for color.You complete them individually, but they also look great arranged on a beautiful platter with a bowl of whip cream in the middle.