How to Cut a Mango
Fresh mangos are tricky little bitches, but so tasty. Here's how to conquer them.
- •Using a sharp knife, slice off a side, staying about 1/2-inch from the center (this is where the pit is).
- •Hold the piece you cut off in your palm.
- •Use the knife to gently score the mango flesh (without slicing through the skin) lengthwise cuts.
- •Now score the mango crosswise, again, making sure not to cut through the skin.
- •Use a regular spoon (like the kind you would eat cereal with) to scoop the mango flesh out of the skin.
- •Alternately, raise to lips and devour.
- •Continue slicing large sides of the mango, avoiding the pit, and repeating the score-and-scoop process.
- •Eventually you will be left with a fleshy pit. Cut away any usable chunks of mango and dice them by hand on a cutting board.Anything left is the chef's treat.