How to Make a Dope Salsa
For @LevNovak, the dopest of them all.
- •Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.We're going to be doing some roasting.
- •On a rimmed, oiled baking sheet, spread 3 large (or 6 small) tomatillos (leave the husk intact) 4 whole cloves of peeled garlic, 1 green jalapeño, halved (remove the stem), 1 onion, peeled and quartered, and 3 medium Roma tomatoes, halved, on an ungreased baking sheet.If you can't find tomatillos, simply double the amount of tomatoes. The salsa will be different but still very good. If you want the salsa to be mild, remove the white membrane and seeds from the jalapeño.
- •Roast for 25-30 minutes or until tomatillos are soft.They should be squishy.
- •Let the roasted vegetables cool, then remove tomatillos from their husks and place in food processor or blender along with the other roasted vegetables, plus the juice of one line and a handful of cilantro leaves. Pulse until smooth.Or, if you prefer a chunkier salsa, feel free to purée it less.
- •Stir in a pinch of salt, and serve.With chips, on tacos or burritos, spooned over grilled fish or meat, over eggs, or anywhere else you like to put salsa.
- •The prepared salsa will keep in an airtight container (like a Tupperware container with a fitted lid or a jar) for up to a week.It's usually best the day after making, once the flavors have had a chance to really meld together.