Or, how to throw together a healthy dinner for 2 in under 20 minutes.
- •Slice one leek into rings.You could also use 1/2 onion if you don't have leeks on hand.
- •Roughly chop 1/4 pound mushrooms.I like oyster mushrooms. They're tender, have great flavor, and are very affordable. Regular white button mushrooms will work too, though.
- •Heat 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat.
- •Add the leeks and mushrooms to the pan. Add some chopped garlic if you have some laying around.
- •Add a few dashes each of cumin and chili powder, a pinch of salt, and a few grinds of black pepper.Note: this combination of spices is what comes in those little packets of "taco seasoning."
- •Cook until they begin to brown, stirring occasionally, 3-4 minutes.
- •While they cook, drain and rinse a can of pinto (or black) beans and heat them up in a little pot with some water and a pinch of salt over medium heat.
- •Toast a few tortillas over an open flame, if you have a gas stove (otherwise use a dry frying pan).We usually eat 2 per person. The flame imparts a delicious smoky flavor to the tortillas.
- •Optionally, gather some condiments.I threw together some mango-avocado salsa and a little bowl of yogurt instead of sour cream.
- •Serve it all up, with a simple salad tossed with lemon juice and olive oil.
- •Graciously accept moans of pleasure and praise of your dinner-making skills.Let him do the dishes.