Quick, Healthy Breakfasts You Can Eat While Running Out the Door
Per @mkz's request (I accidentally deleted the original!)
- •Smoothie popsIt's a smoothie in frozen treat form! Make a big batch of your favorite smoothie and pour it into 8-ounce mason jars or cups. Stick popsicle sticks (or if you don't have them, spoons or chopsticks) into the center, and freeze until solid. In the morning, just pull the pop out of its cup and eat on your way out the door.
- •Avocado toast@Lilysaltz and @zoe will back me up here: there is no better quick breakfast (or lunch, or dinner) than avocado toast. Smash up some ripe, creamy avocado, spread it on sturdy toast, top with salt, lemon, chili flakes, pepper, and you're done. If you need it to be more contained, cover it with a second slice of toast.
- •Breakfast burritosI make breakfast burritos in advance and then freeze them so I always have a healthy, quick breakfast on hand. Wrap a scrambled egg or two, some cheese, salsa, and veggies in a whole grain tortilla (like the ones from Alvarado St. Bakery). Tuck in the ends and roll it up tightly. Wrap the burrito loosely in a paper towel and wrap the whole thing in foil or plastic wrap. Freeze. When ready to eat, remove the foil or plastic wrap and microwave in the paper towel until hot.
- •Breakfast sandwich@LevNovak made a great list with his recipe for this. When I'm in a hurry, I fry one egg over-medium so it doesn't drip all over me when I eat it, salt it lightly, then slide it between two slices of toast or an english muffin. If I have more time, I'll add some greens, tomato, and maybe a smear of goat cheese.
- •Half an avocadoRemove the pit, smash the fruit gently in its skin, top with a sprinkle of sea salt, some lemon if you have one handy, and pepper/chili flakes and eat with a spoon.