Songs That Always Make Me Cry
In case you want to have a good cry, Gabi Moskowitz style.
- •Baby Mine from Dumbo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oSdgIDyl6QIt makes my brother cry and thinking of that makes me cry.
- •The Circle Game by Joni Mitchell: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9VoLCO-d6UMy mom used to sing this to me before bed. It's about a child getting older and time stopping for no one. Instant waterworks.
- •Give Yourself to Love by Kate Wolf: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHD2aPTjqNMThe first time I heard this was at summer camp in 1996. I was 14 and battling an awful depression. A counselor played this song on guitar around a campfire one night, and it just unearthed something inside of me. Now when I hear it, I go right back to that place, and feel for my sad little adolescent self.
- •Somewhere Out There (the one from the movie, not the Linda Ronstadt version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_iRdgGZ6XcA lonely little mouse, alone in a new country, across the ocean from his family. It's the saddest thing ever.
- •My mom used to sing The Riddle Song as a lullaby when my brother and I were little, and Evan turned it into this beautiful piece for our wedding.
- •After All by Dar Williams https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpP31Iva_ocSo beautiful, about family, overcoming depression and becoming unfrozen.
- •The Boxer by Simon & Garfunkel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3LFML_pxlYI get so sad thinking about a young man cold and alone in New York City, taking comfort in the whores on 7th Avenue.
- •Jerusalem by Steve Earle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU278yFdvgQAbout hope and religion and peace and violence. Plus that voice.
- •We Shall Overcome (all versions but especially this one by Mahalia Jackson): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vTyKJjj2oC0So hopeful and beautiful.