Spaghetti with Short Rib Ragu
Just posted on brokeassgourmet.com, but here it is in li.st form for you kitchen Listers. ❤️🍝
- •Heat 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil in a large dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot (with a fitted lid) over medium-high heat
- •Salt 1 pound boneless short ribs on both sides.Bone-in short ribs are fine too, just double it to 2 pounds.
- •Brown the short ribs in the hot oil for 2-3 minutes on each side, until a thick crust forms.Don't skip this step. Browning seals juices into the meat, and helps develop flavor for the whole sauce.
- •Remove the short ribs from the pan and set aside.
- •Add the 1 chopped medium yellow onion, 1 chopped large handful fresh flat-leaf parsley, and 3 cloves chopped garlic to the pan, and brown well, for 3-4 minutes.Again, building flavor.
- •Deglaze the pan by pouring in 2 cans (about 4 cups) warmed beef broth and scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen any stuck bits.
- •Add 2 15-ounce cans chopped tomatoes and season with 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- •Return the short ribs to the pot.Turn the heat up and bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low.
- •Simmer for about 3 hours, until the sauce has greatly reduced and the short ribs are very tender.
- •Remove the short ribs and transfer them to a cutting board.Use 2 forks to shred them.
- •Return the meat to the pot and stir well.Taste for seasoning and, if necessary, add a little salt.
- •Reduce the heat to low so it continues to simmer.
- •Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti according to package instructions.Be sure to reserve 1/2 cup cooking water.
- •Transfer the cooked pasta (without rinsing), plus 1/2 cup reserved cooking water to the simmering ragu and let cook together for 2-3 minutes.
- •Serve the pasta in bowls, garnished with a little more chopped parsley.