Sweet Potato Nachos
If ever there were nachos that could straddle the line between indulgent and passably healthy, these are those nachos.
- •Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- •Slice one medium orange-fleshed sweet potato (AKA a garnet yam) into 1/8th-inch thick rounds.Leave the skin on. It adds lots of flavor and contains nutrients.
- •Place the sweet potato rounds into a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive or room temperature coconut oil and use your hands to toss well, coating each round.Note: Other sweet potato varieties will also work here. I've also made this with purple Okinawa sweet potatoes and regular white-fleshed sweet potatoes and it's been delicious.
- •Sprinkle the sweet potato rounds lightly with salt.Definitely take it easy on the salt, because you'll eventually be adding cheese which is naturally salty.
- •Bake the sweet potato rounds for 12-13 minutes, until they begin to brown lightly.
- •Once they have begun to brown, flip the rounds and bake for another 9-11 minutes
- •Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven (but leave the oven on), flip the browned sweet potato rounds once again, and arrange in a cluster, so they are all touching.
- •Sprinkle 1/3 cup shredded jack or cheddar cheese over the top of the sweet potato rounds.
- •Return to the oven for another 5-6 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- •Remove from the oven and garnish with desired toppings.Recommended: Salsa, sliced jalapeño, minced red onion, chopped scallions, avocado or guacamole, sour cream or Greek yogurt, chopped cilantro.
- •Serve immediately.Serves 1 very hungry person or 2 medium-hungry people.
- •Don't even think about using🍴