The Best Brisket
This is how I make it for Passover, and the rest of the year. @evan swears it's the best.
- •Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- •Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large oven-proof dutch oven or pot over high heat.
- •Salt and pepper a 3-pound brisket generously on both sides.Leave the fat on the brisket for now. You'll be taking it off later.
- •Place the brisket in the pan and brown well on both sides. Transfer to a plate.
- •Reduce the heat to medium and to the hot pan, add 2 sliced onions and 4 chopped cloves of garlic, and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add a 24-ounce can of peeled whole tomatoes and stir well. Let cook for 2 minutes.
- •Nestle the brisket into the tomato mixture and pour in enough beef or vegetable broth to cover. Stir well to distribute the seasonings evenly.
- •Cover pot with the lid and bring the liquid to a boil. Once it boils, remove from the stove and place in the oven.
- •Simmer in the oven for 3-3 1/2 hours, or until very tender.
- •Once the brisket has cooked, carefully remove it from the sauce, and place on a carving board. Let rest for at least 10 minutes.
- •Place the remaining sauce over high heat and add 1/2 cup brown sugar. Let boil for about 10 minutes, until it thickens. Season with more salt if necessary.
- •Cut away any remaining ribbons of fat on the brisket and slice the meat, against the grain. Serve immediately, with the sauce spooned over it.