The Green Smoothie Formula
This formula yields about 32 ounces, which is enough for two people. I like to make one batch, drink half, and then turn the rest info smoothie pops (see my breakfast list). Inspired by @dev's query.
- •2 cups leafy greens, washed and choppedThis can be spinach, kale, romaine lettuce, chard, bok choy, collard greens, beet tops, or literally any other green leafy vegetable.
- •2 cups of liquid baseRegular milk, soy, coconut, hemp, or almond milk (my all-time favorite is Califia Farms Toasted Coconut Almond Milk), coconut water, juice (that last one is sometimes too sweet so consider diluting it with water first).
- •3 cups frozen fruit (chopped, if necessary)Banana, mangoes, blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, peaches, pineapple, guava, pomegranate seeds, and pretty much anything else you can think of.
- •Add-insAny of the following are good additions: 2 tbsp chia seeds, 1 tbsp coconut oil, 1-2 tbsp almond or peanut butter, 1 tbsp hemp seeds, 2 tbsp protein powder, few shavings very dark chocolate or cacao nibs.
- •To make, blend the greens and the liquid-base together for a full minute to break it down. Then add your fruit and any add-ins, if using, and blend for at least another 30 seconds, or until smooth.
- •Bonus: put your smoothie in a cute to-go cup.I have a set of these and I love them http://bit.ly/1Cp5L0g