THINGS I LEARNED AT A 3D PRINTING FACTORY TODAY
I went to Shapeways 3D printing factory today in Long Island City, and it was magical. 📱📠✨
- •If you print something out of a nylon polymer, it starts as just a powder.The powder comes in giant barrels that remind me of "Breaking Bad" because that's the extent of my exposure to industrial lab chemicals.
- •High-resolution lasers melt the powders to make them stay in place.I think the fact that that surprised me means I had NOT ONE CLUE how 3D printing worked before today even though I definitely thought I did.
- •Non-Makerbot 3D printers are enormous.Like, bigger than refrigerators!
- •You can make metal goods with 3D printing by 3D printing the mold that the metal would be cast in.💥W💥H💥A💥T💥
- •I have not been taking advantage of 3D printing for all of my jewelry dreams but will start today.Mark my words, List App. I'm gonna be drenched in custom jewelz soon.
- •Most people right now use Shapeways' 3D printing services to make tchotchkes.I saw at least 5 My Little Pony figurines, 4 emoji paperweights, and about a bazillion tiny army men-sized action figures.
- •At least one person has used 3D printing to make a bespoke cock block.*VISIT HIGHLIGHT*
- •There are free apps you can download to start learning how to 3D model...The ambitious option
- •But if you send Shapeways a bunch of Google images and line drawings, they'll engineer the model for you and print it themselves. 😈What I will be doing
- •I am a huge nerd.¯\_(ツ)_/¯