Things I Can Do to Take Care of Myself When I'm at the End of My Rope
I work full time, parent solo on the weekends when the stay-at-home dad works nights or occasionally runs off to fish or bike, get little sleep as I sleep with a chronic snorer, and live with a sometimes high-maintenance 8-year-old. The spouse tries to get me to take care of myself, and he thinks nothing of taking care of himself. So, here goes.
- •Sleep in the home office sometimes.Waking up at least twice a night to a human buzzsaw wears on you after a while.
- •Buy a reclining lawn chair and bring a book to the backyard.
- •If the husband is actually home on one of my days off, go away.Bring a book and a notebook. Run an errand or two that doesn't involve buying something for anybody else, but don't spend your entire time alone in retail therapy.
- •Put the damn phone away for a couple of hours.I hate it when I discover I've spent two hits on social media or my Township game.
- •Two words: play date.
- •Meditate and/or pray.Find a space where you can hole up, crawl inside your head and shut up. Sometimes, prayer involved listening, too, or being still and knowing God is God.
- •Just. Take. Care. Of. Your. Self.Nobody else will do it for you, no matter how much the people around you say they will.