LISTAPPERS WHO HAVE HAD NYT BEST SELLERS
And what I've written about them for my column, Inside the List.
- •@bjnovak "One More Thing: Stories and Other Stories"I wrote about how he polished the jokes in this collection by performing them as standup. To date, I have not written about his even better-selling kids' book, "The Book With No Pictures," which seems to have a permanent lease atop the picture books list despite, yes, having no pictures.
- •@lenadunham "Not That Kind of Girl"I wrote about "Randy," her Jewish gynecologist who used to pitch for the Mets. This item apparently set off a heated but futile guessing game among the paper's Mets fans about who this could be. Insights welcomed. Strictly off the record, of course.
- •@mindy "Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns)"I quoted the passage about how she used reading as an excuse to get out of chores when she was younger. My 76-year-old father loved this bit. "Funny lady!" he said.
- •@BretEastonEllis "Less Than Zero"Also "American Psycho" and "Lunar Park." These best sellers predate my column, but I have written about Bret — in fact, the same week I wrote about Mindy. Joan Didion's memoir "Blue Nights" was on the list, and I wrote about Bret hanging out with her daughter at Bennington. The campus drug dealer was under the impression her mother was Joan Rivers.
- •@Ayelet "Bad Mother"This also predates my column. But in 2012 I did write about Ayelet's husband, Michael Chabon, and how he'd originally conceived of his novel "Telegraph Avenue" as a TV pilot.
- •@molliekatzen "The Heart of the Plate"This one hit our dining-specific list in 2013. I didn't write about it, but in a profile of Mollie that ran that summer, we noted that the "Moosewood Cookbook" was "perhaps the best-selling vegetarian cookbook of all time."
- •Honorable mention: @helytimesSteve's book, "How I Became a Famous Novelist," didn't hit the list — but it did *mock* the list, beautifully. I wrote about it for the Book Review's blog, and included a PDF of the fake list he had come up with.
- •Anybody else? Please add!