SOME THINGS I TALKED ABOUT WITH MY PARENTS WHEN I WAS VISITING THEM FOR CHRISTMAS
- •BitmojiMy mom made me write "bitmoji" on a post-it note and put it on the kitchen cabinet so she would remember to download it
- •Dating etiquetteThere's a column in The Boston Globe Magazine called Dinner With Cupid, where two people are set up on a blind date and then interviewed about it. My parents love reading this. A woman got to the place early and ordered an appetizer before her date arrived. There was a heated discussion about whether or not that was appropriate. Mom flint: "it shows she wanted him to have food right when he arrived!" Dad flint: "that's ridiculous. No wonder he didn't like her."
- •DuecesWhile discussing a problem written about in an advice column in The Boston Globe, I said "she needs to just say deuces and move on". My parents were fascinated by this.
- •Unstoppable : the movieI asked my dad about an incident with a train in Boston and it somehow turned in to a full on reenactment of the movie Unstoppable (about an unstoppable train) starring Denzel Washington, as well as a comparison to the true event the movie was based off of.
- •BeesMy parents keep bees. Mom: "Neal, should we get a second hive this year?" Dad: "I read something online that said you should get a new queen each year." Mom: "that's not an answer to my question." Me: "just get a second hive. And don't kill your queen every year. That's mean."
- •Changing your last name when getting marriedExplained to my dad that the cultural norm for women, but not men, to change their last name when married is a result of patriarchy. He kept insisting that "it's just cultural, not patriarchal". Best quote: "so what if you have a hyphenated last name and then your kid marries someone with a hyphenated last name? They're gonna have four last names!" - dad flint
- •Investment strategiesAfter seeing The Big Short my mom wanted to know if my dad and I had any new thoughts on investing our finances. I told her I didn't have finances, just a shit ton of student loan debt. But I will not be investing in mortgage backed securities if I ever make any money, just FYI, mom. Best quote: "we invest biblically" - mom flint.
- •Movie seatingI had not one, but three conversations with my dad about the new phenomenon of having to pick your seat when you buy a movie ticket. After we saw a movie we had to wait for everyone to leave the theater so he could test out different seats and then make note of the best ones for next time.
- •Photo filtersI helped my mom buy some new makeup and the next day she was feeling her look and asked me to take a picture of her before she left for work. She wasn't thrilled with the picture until I put a filter on it and she about fell over. I added a photo editing app to the bitmoji post it note.