BIGGEST CHANGES IN THE USA THE PAST 5 YEARS
I lived in China for 5 years. Now I have to face the fact that things change while you're gone, and I'm way out of the loop.
- •Elevators have gotten more socially awkward.
- •Facebook is essentially just a news sharing and messaging app now.
- •All of my friends that used to be drunks are now rich as shit business people. All my friends that used to be stoners are still high.
- •My previously high level of beer snobbery now makes me a novice in the current craft beer scene.
- •In general, men are better groomed and dressed and there's a TON of fashion consulting companies geared towards men
- •People seem to be writing off China for some reason.
- •It's easier to find a grilled cheese sandwich than a slice of pizza in NYC
- •People care a LOT more about news and politics but still don't read past the headlines.
- •The video games I played in high school have become "cool retro throwbacks"
- •Debit card transactions seem to go faster
- •There's been a HUGE increase in the number of places and services that expect tips. Plus, paying on electronic devices like iPads that guilt you into a tip that you wouldn't have lid before.
- •People just don't get carded anymore (or do I just look that much older??)
- •People spend money on their phones, all the time.