7 Myths About GMOs that Actually Aren't True
Hype or hysteria?
- •GMO science is Frankenstein ScienceNot true— the GMO process actually isn't complex, it is simple accelerated selective breeding. Or, when two or more plants are cross bred to produce a desired trait (like more fiber or vitamins).
- •GMOs are dangerous to eatFalse— over 2,000 studies have found that GMOs are safe to eat. In reality, all crops grown today have gone through some kind of "genetic modification" as they have adapted and grown both in labs and in nature.
- •GMOs taste badNope. Most people can't even tell the difference between GMO and non-GMO foods. If anything, GMO foods may be modified to taste BETTER
- •GMOs require more pesticides and chemicals to growNegatory— GMOs are designed to require LESS pesticides and chemical assistance. For example, a common cotton plant in India was modified to repel a nasty parasite
- •GMOs are controlled by corporationsNot completely true — while many multinational corporations have patented GMO seeds, they are not the only players in the market
- •GMO seeds can't be replantedNope— while some seeds have patents that prevent replanting, farmers actually need to buy new seeds each year regardless. Purchasing new seeds each season ensures a quality harvest.
- •GMOs disrupt natural environments️Nei— all plants disturb their natural environments and just like with non GMO plants, this tendency is not usually negative. Unless, crops are planted in already vulnerable environments.