8 OSCAR WINNERS WHO ROCKED THE RED CARPET
Our favourite best supporting actress looks through the years
- •Catherine Zeta-Jones – 2003While many actresses might shy away from the spotlight while expecting, Zeta-Jones set the new standard for maternity wear when she collected her Oscar for Chicago, looking luminous and ultra-chic in Versace.
- •Renée Zellweger– 2004It was the dramatic, origami-style back of Renée Zellweger’s white Carolina Herrera gown that grabbed all the attention for the actress, who on that night won for her role in Cold Mountain.
- •Cate Blanchett – 2005It’s hard to think of Cate Blanchett wearing anything but the most daring ensemble on the red carpet, but in 2005 – when she won for her turn in The Aviator – the fashion-forward star channelled old Hollywood glamour in a bustled Valentino gown.
- •Tilda Swinton – 2008They say that in every woman’s closet should hang a great black dress. In 2008, when Tilda Swinton won for her role in Michael Clatyon, her asymmetrical Lanvin frock had many tongues wagging – but anyone who can pull off edgy and elegant at once should be given red carpet icon status immediately.
- •Penélope Cruz – 2009Prints are generally avoided on the red carpet, sadly – we have Kim Kardashian’s disastrous Givenchy dress to thank. Yet in 2009, a vintage Pierre Balmain dress boasting a delicate floral pattern looked fresh on Penélope Cruz, who won for Vicky Cristina Barcelona.
- •Octavia Spencer – 2012Looking regal in a cream-coloured beaded dress by designer Tadashi Shoji, Spencer, who won for her role in The Help, showed us that ultimately you need little help in looking glamorous when you’ve got a great gown.
- •Anne Hathaway – 2013Winning for her role in Les Misérables, Hathaway looked tres joyeux in a pale pink satin sheath dress by Prada, accented by a cut-away back and row of sparkling jewels by Tiffany & Co.
- •Lupita Nyong’o – 2014For her first few turns on the red carpet, Nyong’o the ingénue thrilled with several stunning looks, each seemingly better than the last. But this icy blue chiffon Prada, which she wore in 2014 when she won for her performance in 12 Years a Slave, was by far the best.