THINGS THAT WERE IN MY JANSPORT BACKPACK IN 7TH GRADE
- •My coral Bongo denim vest. It was too hot over my Explorations "save the dolphins" t-shirt that day.
- •A brush to brush out my bangs.
- •My diorama for Summer of the Monkeys, a disappointing follow-up from the author of Where the Red Fern Grows. The diorama was fucking sick, though, and included a monkey on a string that flew across the shoebox.
- •The YA horror novel I was writing that was a straight-up RL Stine ripoff. The plot really fell apart in the end.
- •A novelty-sized pencil from Disney world that was completely impractical. There were zero ways to sharpen it that didn't involve chopping off the tip of your pinky.
- •Extra scrunchies, for times when the one on your wrist just isn't enough.