BEST FICTIONAL HORSES (BOOKS)
I expect this list will be highly controversial and generate a lot of chatter in the equine literary circle.
- •Misty of Chincoteague (Marguerite Henry)"But Stacy, this is cheating, she's a real horse," I'm sure you're thinking, because like me you read this book 22 times and wanted to go to Chincoteague on the last Wednesday in July for the annual Pony Swim where you would adopt your very own Chincoteague pony, but the book based on her life is made up. The fictional Misty taught two children about entrepreneurship and overcoming obstacles!
- •Black Beauty (Anna Sewell)How many horses do you know that have an autobiography? Is it NONE? You don't know very many exceptional horses, then. Black Beauty is one of the most beloved horses of ALL TIME. Respect.
- •The Black Stallion (Walter Farley)Survives being SHIPWRECKED on a DESERTED ISLAND and goes on to be the greatest racehorse of his time DON'T EVEN COME AT ME LIKE THAT'S NOT COOL
- •Shadowfax (J.R.R. Tolkien)THE LORD OF ALL HORSES I'M NOT EVEN SHITTING YOU
- •Ginger (A. Sewell)Black Beauty's salty bestie who DIES and it's HEARTBREAKING and TAUGHT ME ABOUT LOSS AND HOW HARD LIFE IS.
- •Stormy, Misty's Foal (M. Henry)Another real horse I am including on this list because her life was mostly fictionalized in her eponymous book. She was born during a storm!!!
- •Satan (W. Farley)Son of the Black Stallion. His name is SATAN for God's sake do you think he was cuddly and lovable? No, he was not, but he did prove that you shouldn't give up on something just because it's difficult.
- •Bree (C.S. Lewis)Helps his boy escape from indentured servitude, so yeah, BREE'S PRETTY RAD. (This is from The Horse and His Boy, definitely the least appreciated of the Narnia series, but the very first one I ever read only because it had the word horse in the title)
- •Sea Star, Orphan of Chincoteague (M. Henry)By now you're picking up on the fact that I had a very long Chincoteague phase. Didn't everyone?
- •Merrylegs (A. Sewell)An adorable sidekick who comes into Black Beauty's life for a spell. Beloved by humans and animals alike because he's FUCKING ADORABLE.
- •All of the horses in the Thoroughbreds series (Joanna Campbell)I didn't read this entire series (there were 94 books!!!) but I read a LOT of them and ALL of the horses were so great. Special shoutouts to Wonder, Sterling Dream, and Wonder's Star.