Reasons why I feel as if I'm finally becoming an adult
We all know that turning 18 means becoming an "adult" but you don't turn into an adult overnight. After a year of being an "adult" I've learned that age does not define adulthood. And here's why.
- •I got through my first year of college.Moving away from home and having to make decisions on your own is a lot harder than you'd think. You have to decide when you want to eat dinner, if you wanna eat dinner, if you wanna study alone or with friends. Decisions on decisions. Making the right ones are important in order to survive college.
- •I do my own laundry, even now that I'm moved back home.Yeah yeah I know a lot of people did their own laundry before college, but I was fortunate enough to have my mother do it for me. Now that I'm back home, she has offered, but because I've become so independent, I want it done on my own time.
- •I put my paychecks in my savings accountCollege is expensive AF and in order to pay for it, I can't spend all of my paychecks on clothes or concerts or food all of the time. My paychecks go in my savings account for school, and my cash tips go towards gas, any leftover cash tips is my spending money (which is maybe $5-$10 a week)
- •I have a credit cardI just made my first payment on my first credit card. I want to build credit so that when I wanna buy a house someday, I'm able to because I have a good credit score.
- •I go to the doctors office by myselfI needed a physical, but I had to go all by myself and it was scary at first, but after I figured out the insurance stuff, it was fine!
- •I buy necessitiesTampons, shampoo, conditioner, laundry detergent, I buy it with my own money.
- •I've Accepted that I don't have much of a social lifeIt's a busy time in my life, I don't have time to do everything with my friends anymore. Even though my mom started dating my dad at 19, I've accepted the fact that I don't absolutely have to have a relationship in college like I thought I did in high school, and that's okay.
- •MaturingOverall, I've noticed that I've taken a lot more responsibility in the last year, and my parents always tell me that they can tell I've matured a lot.