5 Things Abraham Lincoln Said That Modern Day Republicans Wouldn't Agree With
Speaker of the House Paul Ryan has described his party as "the party of Lincoln" implying that they should behave accordingly. Tonight's ruling in the House clearly shows they stopped giving a crap what Abraham Lincoln would have thought
- •"John Brown's effort was peculiar. It was not a slave insurrection. It was an attempt by white men to get up a revolt among slaves, in which the slaves refused to participate." - Feb 20, 1860Nah but those slaves just should have behaved right? Cause riots are 100% on the rioters, yeah? Cause All Lives Matter?
- •"The legitimate object of government, is to do for a community of people, whatever they need to have done, but can not do, at all, or can not, so well do, for themselves -- in their separate, and individual capacities." -July 1, 1854Boooo government oversight is SPOOPY. It just enables people. MY family of wealthy white men figured it out with hard work, why can't YOU?
- •"Understanding the spirit of our institutions to aim at the elevation of men, I am opposed to whatever tends to degrade them." - May 17, 1859Making a trans person use a bathroom they're uncomfortable with and denying service to a gay person are obviously not degrading though, right guys? Cause you're pretty sure Jesus said so?
- •"We have, as all will agree, a free Government, where every man has a right to be equal with every other man. In this great struggle, this form of Government and every form of human right is endangered if our enemies succeed." - August 22, 1864Except for Muslims because they MIGHT be a terrorists.
- •"A house divided against itself cannot stand." - June 16, 1858I'm sure Trump is fine. I'm sure the infighting in the party won't be a problem. This is fine.