COVERS THAT ARE JUST AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINAL
These covers are interesting and worth a listen, if anything they'll make you run back to the original for a closer listen. Any others in mind?
- •Patti Smith- Smells Like Teen SpiritI quite enjoy her rendition of this classic song. The instrumentation and delivery of the lyrics made me want to listen to the original with more intent. I still like your version Kurt!
- •Stereophonics- Video GamesIf you could imagine stripping away some of the soft dream like vibes Lana Del Rey very effectively pours into her sound, you'd get something like this. Still dreamy but just a little tastier.
- •Fiona Apple- Pure ImaginationYes, that Chipotle commercial really nailed the visuals with this song but being a big fan of the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka, this version of the song really captured the dark and gloomy side of the original film. If you haven't seen the original in a while, go watch it!
- •184.108.40.206's- I'm BlueThe Ikettes really had that soft groove down, but when these Japanese chicks covered it, it was like a breath of fresh air.
- •Lauryn Hill- Can't Take My Eyes Off Of YouGrammy aside, this version will make you listen to the original right after you've heard it hip hopped and slammed. Miss Educated did a number on this oldie by Frankie Valli
- •Johnny Cash- HurtEven if you take away all of the circumstances sourounding this cover, it is still extremely moving and powerful. There is something so perfect about the tone, lyrics, and delivery that gels perfectly with Cash.
- •Radiohead- Nobody Does It BetterThom Yorke lent an intangible quality that wraps this one up for me. I listen to him sing it and I get flooded with 007 and youthful angsty vibes.