5 Tips for Becoming a Better Listener
Here are some key steps for being a better listener:
- 1.Look for hints that a person wants to talk — and signal your willingness to listen.
- 2.Let the other person explain what’s on his or her mind. Acknowledge the reality of someone else’s feelings.
- 3.Encourage the person to elaborate.
- 4.Paraphrase what someone said, to show that you’ve understood his or her point.
- 5.Ask questions and listen to try to help work on a possible solution — but don’t rush to fix things.