7 Tips for Making Yourself Happier in the Next Hour
You can make yourself happier – and this doesn’t have to be a long-term ambition. You can start right now. In the next hour, check off as many of the following items as possible. Each of these accomplishments will lift your mood, as will the mere fact that you’ve tackled and achieved some concrete goals.
- 1.Boost your energy.Stand up and pace while you talk on the phone or, even better, take a brisk ten-minute walk outside.
- 2.Reach out to friends.Having warm, close bonds with other people is one of the keys to happiness, so take the time to stay in touch.
- 3.Rid yourself of a nagging task.Crossing an irksome chore off your to-do list will give you a big rush of energy and cheer, and you’ll be surprised that you procrastinated for so long.
- 4.Create a calmer environment.Clear some physical and mental space around your desk by sorting papers, pitching junk, stowing supplies, sending out quick responses, filing, or even just making your piles neater.
- 5.Lay the groundwork for some future fun.Order a book you’ve been wanting to read (not something you think you should read) or plan a weekend excursion to a museum, hiking trail, sporting event, gardening store, movie theater—whatever sounds like fun.
- 6.Do a good deed.
- 7.Act happy.Put a smile on your face right now, and keep smiling.