9 CONTRADICTIONS TO EMBRACE FOR GREATER HAPPINESS
As I’ve worked on my happiness project, I’ve been struck by the contradictions I kept confronting. The opposite of a profound truth is also true, and I often find myself trying to embrace both sides of an idea.
- 1.Accept myself, and expect more of myself.
- 2.Use my time efficiently, yet make time to play, to wander, to read at whim, to fail.
- 3.Take myself less seriously—and take myself more seriously.
- 4.Someplace, keep an empty shelf, and someplace, keep a junk drawer.If you want to see my empty shelf with your own eyes, watch at minute 6:41–some people are dubious about whether I actually have one. https://youtu.be/KC8HrPuFTLQ?list=UUxi4ZHo3mdK3RLWngmygDUw
- 5.Think about myself so I can forget myself.
- 6.Paying close attention to something sometimes helps me to ignore it. (Like cravings.)
- 7.Often it takes discipline to take pleasure.
- 8.If I want to keep going, I must allow myself to stop.
- 9.The days are long, but the years are short.Of everything I’ve ever written, I think this one-minute video resonates most with people. http://www.theyearsareshort.com/