Things My Parents Taught Me: The Good Stuff
I spend a lot of time working on reversing all the unhealthy stuff I learned/inherited from my family of origin, but there's much to be appreciated too. For example:
- •To PlayMy parents are hard workers but they believe in regular relaxation & recreation. We got to go on a lot of cool vacations & it was never wrong to take a brain break as needed during the day.
- •To Go OutsideGranted I watched WAY too much TV growing up, but we went for walks all the time too, did a lot of outdoor sports, and just generally took advantage of the nice Central Coast weather as often as possible.
- •To ShareMy parents are incredibly hospitable, and they taught me that part of being a good friend or relative is having people over often and even taking them out once in a while too. Also, if someone needs money and you have a little to give, do it.
- •To CareTo be kind to people who are struggling, to listen to people who need to talk, to have an opinion on things that matter.
- •To Read & Watch the NewsNow of course I've since learned to take mass media with a grain of salt, but I learned from my parents that it's important to educate yourself about what's going on in the world on a daily basis.
- •To Do What You Love If You CanMy parents never pressured me to be practical or typical, which means I truly enjoyed college because I did the major I wanted, and it means I'm still single, childless and happy about it 'cause they want me to follow my heart, not the norm.