ADVICE THAT STOOK AROUND
I've been given plenty of great advice, but a lot of it gets forgotten in time. These are the things that still linger with me / probably just happen to all be very recent.
- •There will always be someone better than you, and worse than you, no matter where you are in life.A nice reminder to focus on your own shit and dismiss competition from @joelleg
- •Not everyone deserves your kindness.My Mom, when I was letting goblins trample my spirits.
- •Don't skip over a perfectly good idea in search of "The Perfect" idea. Trust your gut and build from there.Specific notes from my 401 Improv Teacher, Alex Berg. Very helpful in not putting off getting started.
- •Don't try to squeeze lemon from a rockFrom a former therapist. If you have someone in your life who is not particularly supportive emotionally, stop looking for it there. You have plenty of others who can provide that. Learn how people work and build relationships with those parameters.
- •Fuck Yes or Fuck NoA truly lovely concept from @caitiedelaney. Don't build friendships, relationships, projects, or careers that you are lukewarm about. Be either FUCK YES or FUCK NO in what is important to you.
- •Being a good friend means just listening when shit is going wrong. Don't get involved or try to solve their problems.One more gem from my Mom. I had a habit for a long time of listening to a friend's problem, then taking it into my hands to solve, often getting in over my head. Just be there.