13 BRIGHT VEGETARIAN DISHES YOU’LL WANT TO EAT RIGHT NOW
Gone are the days when the idea of "vegetarian cooking" conjured up hippie vibes and bland dinners. There's a new breed of produce-forward, health-conscious food that goes way beyond kale salad and carrot juice — with new dishes and new restaurants entering the fold at a rapid clip. http://grb.st/1E920aV
- •Peachy Toast at DimesDimes has quickly become the go-to choice for healthy eating, but that doesn't mean you're stuck with things like raw-vegetable salads. This seasonal toast includes lavender goat cheese, honey, and basil.
- •Roasted-Mushroom Taco at Seamore'sLocal fish is the speciality here, but there are a ton of vegetarian options (and the impressive soft-serve, made by OddFellows, is vegan). Try the mushroom taco with eggplant, coconut, and cumin sauce.
- •Lemon-Roasted Beets at El ReyChef Gerardo Gonzalez's newest dish is comprised of lemon-roasted beets, yogurt, housemade granola, coconut, honey, and black pepper. Like all of the food here, it feels like the right thing to eat, any time of day.
- •Green Tomatoes at Superiority BurgerThis is the move: In addition to the veggie burger, order any vegetable special that chef Brooks Headley offers on any given night. Come Thursday, he's making a green-tomato salad with bruised Thai basil, "the tiniest little squirt of the fancy olive oil," and chunky creamed corn, which comes with sourdough toast.
- •Buckwheat Pancakes at Alta LineaThe High Line Hotel's outdoor, seasonal restaurant launches brunch this weekend with a menu that includes (slightly) virtuous buckwheat pancakes. The stack comes topped with cherries, brandied maple syrup, crème fraîche, and ... chocolate!
- •Asparagus With Egg Yolk at Grand ArmyDon't forget that this new-ish Boerum Hill spot has a dinner menu, and it's filled with fresh, light dishes. With an egg yolk, Pecorino, and a sprinkling of bonito flakes, the asparagus dish manages to feel like a modern update to a classic preparation.
- •Golden Farro at Nourish Kitchen & TableThe dishes at Nourish always look like something you could whip up at home — only they're executed perfectly with the freshest ingredients. This new grain salad combines satisfying farro with peaches, yellow beets, scallions, and Pecorino.
- •Toast With Melted Cheddar and Green-Tomato Jam at Studio Café at the WhitneyWells just awarded Untitled two stars, guaranteeing the restaurant will book up fast. The good news: Chef Michael Anthony is also overseeing the vegetable-forward food at the more casual upstairs café, where this not-so-simple toast is a menu highlight.
- •Verdure Verdi at La Pecora BiancaThis brand-new Italian restaurant offers plenty of pasta, of course, but there are also intriguing vegetable dishes like this salad with sugar, snap, snow, and green peas; fava beans; asparagus; Pecorino; and goat-milk labneh.
- •Heirloom-Squash Pizza at UplandThis brand-new Italian restaurant offers plenty of pasta, of course, but there are also intriguing vegetable dishes like this salad with sugar, snap, snow, and green peas; fava beans; asparagus; Pecorino; and goat-milk labneh.
- •Watermelon Gazpacho at Cafe CloverThis slightly sweet chilled soup, with avocado and fine herbs, is super-refreshing.
- •Vegan Caesar Salad at NarcissaChef John Fraser's at his best when cooking vegetables, and this salad — with Belgian endive, snap peas, and nori bread crumbs — is an excellent riff on a classic.
- •Tofu-Mushroom Rice Bowl at Lumpia Shack SnackbarWith brown rice, an herb salad, pickled radishes, fried garlic, and a choice of protein and sauce, Lumpia's rice bowl makes for a bright, well-rounded meal. Grub suggests the tofu-and-mushroom topping with the creamy Bicol coconut sauce, if you can resist the siren song of the pork belly.