GO SEE THE BIG SICK
Watching The Big Sick is like somebody playing you their favorite song for the first time. You can tell that it’s going to be special because everyone is so excited to show it to you, and it just feels like you’re being let in on something so personal and poignant.
- •After watching The Big Sick, I immediately texted basically everyone I knew to go and watch it.
- •TEXT EXCHANGE WITH MY BFF KARTHIK WHO WILL ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS MOVIE AND IT’S DESTROYING ME THAT I CAN’T TALK ABOUT IT WITH HIM YET:
- •The Big Sick is cute and dorky and heartfelt and honest and afterwards, you’ll smile like a total goon and you just can’t stop.
- •It's the perfect movie to see at ANY TIME**If you're sad, go see it; if you're happy, go see it; basically just go see it! **this is a rare thing about a movie I think
- •It’s also so freaking funny- props to Kumail and Emily for focusing on both the rom and the com part of the genre.I laughed out loud so much. Also the female lead is funny and winning, not just the guy. A lot of times, women in rom coms are serious and the guy is the only one who gets to be charming. YEAH NO.
- •It feels like such an intense labor of love. WHICH IT IS. It’s based on the real-life romance of its writers, Kumail Nanjiani and Emily Gordon.This makes everything 100x cuter, but also, it adds depth to what could otherwise be an unrealistic premise.
- •MY FAVORITE CHARACTERS ARE THE PARENTS.Holly Hunter and Ray Romano give phenomenal performances. They make you fall in love with their daughter even when she’s not on screen for half the movie.
- •Kumail’s struggle with his Muslim identity and his relationship with his parents hit me to my core.Parental expectations can be rough. Also picking comedy over law school? I feel that.
- •Even the one-off bits are relatable and the minor characters could easily get their own movies that I would watch.At one point, a character remarks, “Don't you ever wish you could find someone so you can relax?” Yes. Give her a movie!
- •Emily is a strong female lead who isn’t afraid to call out Kumail on his bullshit.“I love it when men test me by my taste.”
- •^ JUST FYI, half the time a guy shows a girl something, she’s already seen it.It's like, "Welcome to my pop culture world!! Because you live in a bubble and clearly haven't seen Pulp Fiction before!"
- •BUT ALSO Kumail and Emily make dating look funThey just have such great chemistry!! Zoe Kazan is wonderful in this.
- •Everything feels earned.Every laugh, every moment of tension. No low hanging fruit here; it's incredibly well-written.
- •HIGHBALLS ON US @meldecandiaGo see the movie and you'll get the joke.