CARDINAL SINS OF NEWS SITE DESIGN
This is why reading on the web sucks.
- •Not sizing pictures so the stuff I'm reading moves around as parts continue to load.
- •Splitting an article into several pages for no reason at all except boosting page views.
- •Ads that make noise.
- •Ads that take over the whole screen and load slowly enough that I accidentally click on them.
- •Ads that open a new page or, even worse, another app.
- •Things that disappear when I start scrolling and reappear when I stop.
- •Overriding standard iPhone scroll behavior and trying to mimic it yourself with touch-tracking. You will fail.
- •Pictures and sidebars that overlap the text if I zoom in.
- •Ads that open on touch instead of tap so I trigger them when I'm trying to scroll.
- •Anything that scrolls inside a page that scrolls.
- •Ads that look like links to more articles except that they're articles I would never actually want to read.
- •Impossible-to-not-look-at pictures associated with those article-ads. Like boobs in tight t-shirts and guys with weird muscles.
- •Headlines that way over-promise.