MY ULTIMATE TACO RECIPE
Well, @GargiBera, it just so happens I'm having tacos for lunch today! I love tacos so much and we have them a lot. Everything in this "recipe" can be adjusted/swapped/augmented in a million ways which is one of the things that makes tacos so wonderful. 🌮🌮🌮
- •Corn tortillas, toasted in a dry pan to warm them up and make them a little toasty.I prefer corn but hey I love soft tacos on four tortillas too, and I love crispy tacos too. I will say though that store-bought hard taco shells always taste stale to me so I don't buy them. And making them is a pain so we've only done it once or twice.
- •Add some protein. I'm using leftover smoked pork here.We usually use pollo asado—whole chickens butterflied and grilled flat on charcoal—which is readily available here but maybe hard to find elsewhere. I also use rotisserie chicken which is great for tacos.
- •Shredded green cabbage.Cabbage holds up to heat way better than lettuce and this is more traditional. It also has a great crunch.
- •Thinly sliced radish.Also a very traditional topping in Mexico but not in American Mexican restaurants which is a shame.
- •Avocado.In Mexico they always use that "guacamole" that is smooth and runny. It is delicious but I don't know how to make it. I should ask some friends and report back...
- •(I put some pickled jalapeño on there but forgot to take a picture).The taco stand we frequent in Mexico has roasted whole jalapeños that are 💯. But sliced fresh, pickled, etc. are also awesome additions.
- •Cebollita.The secret weapon. Beautiful and delicious. See: HOW TO MAKE YOUR TACOS 62% BETTER
- •Serve with lime wedges and leftover homemade black beans.