PAPER BOOKS I STILL OWN RANKED BY HOW LIKELY I'D BE TO GRAB THEM IF MY HOUSE CAUGHT FIRE
I got my first kindle maybe 5 or 6 years ago and began buying mostly eBooks. Then I started replacing my paper books with eBooks and slowly got rid of them all. Here are the ones I kept.
- •The Where the Sidewalk Ends my wife (@mamiecoffey) gave me when our first child (@imc) was born. Complete with beautiful inscription.
- •My original childhood Giving Tree.
- •My very beat up signed Hocus Pocus by Kurt Vonnegut.My mom took me to see him speak in Indianapolis when I was in high school and then when I was too shy to go ask for a signature, she insisted.
- •This special edition Giving Tree my wife gave me.I also own the eBook Giving Tree because sometimes you just need a quick read while you're away from home.
- •The Oh, the Places You'll Go! my mother gave me when I graduated from high school.Cliche? Yes. Special to me? Yes.
- •Every print edition of my book.
- •@ChrisK's Letters to JD Salinger.I actually have two of these because I bought one and he gave me one.
- •@ChrisK's daughter's comic book, signed.I think I was her first customer. A steal at $2.
- •Diary of a Dead Man by John ChessmanMaybe this is on the lowdown but John Chessman is @ChrisK. He was experimenting with print-on-demand services and self publishing and put this book he wrote in high school up there just to see how the layout, printing, and purchasing process worked. I of course immediately bought it before he was done testing and took it down. I think he was kind of annoyed.
- •[everything from here down is a tie because they are totally replaceable.]Just readily available books that don't have an eBook version.
- •Harold Bloom's amazing The Invention of the Human.I will buy this in eBook form the moment it comes out because I hate hate hate carting this giant clump around.
- •This collection of personal accounts of the Haun's Mill Massacre.
- •Flawed Texts and Verbal IconsFascinating and way over my head so I only work on it when I am very undistracted.
- •The Ghost World comic book.Comic books aren't so great as eBooks.