TOP 10 FAVORITE AUTHORS OF ALL TIME
Unranked. Thanks for the rec @elizabeef! This list would probably be different in five ways if I wrote it five times.
- •Bill BrysonI've never read his fiction but his biographies, his dictionary, and his histories are all smart and admirably concise.
- •Carson McCullersA Member of the Wedding is the best in-the-head-of-a-child book I've read and The Heart is a Lonely Hunter is one of the best books I've ever read period.
- •Cormac McCarthyContentious but I adore his writing style and Blood Meridian may be the greatest American novel (TM) since Moby Dick. And he makes me learn: WORDS CORMAC MCCARTHY SENT ME TO THE DICTIONARY FOR
- •E.B. WhiteMeticulous perfect writing and fathoms of heart. My hero. See: E.B. WHITE IS LIKE MY HERO
- •Harold BloomMy very favorite brilliant cranky uncle.
- •Kurt VonnegutMy sole source of literate education from 15 to 20.
- •Larry WallSets the bar for technical book writing. Someone I could only aspire to emulate.
- •Philip RothThis is based entirely on American Pastoral but it is so immensely good that I am certain everything else (none of which I have read) is excellent too.
- •Phillip K DickPart insanity part brilliance and all intriguing.
- •William ShakespearDuh. The most brilliant illustrator of humanity that ever lived.