QUESTIONS ANNIE ASKED ME TONIGHT ABOUT URBAN CRIME
@annievain and I braced the tenderloin, a neighborhood in San Francisco, and the entire ride home in our Prius she questioned me about these hypothetical situations. Someone help her. I don't know why she thinks I'm an expert. Let it be noted that I'm much whiter than her & grew up in the Silicon Valley. I studied graphic design, for Christs' sake.
- •So like, what happens if they mug me and I don't have a wallet on me, and they kill me?
- •So like, how do people usually get mugged? Like, standing and waiting for something?I told her to watch some YouTube videos.
- •So like, what's a comparable city to what we were just in?I said Detroit. But didn't mean it.
- •What's a city that's like, south central la?
- •Do you know anyone besides ____ that's been mugged?
- •What is the scariest part of SF?We agreed it was the part we were just in.
- •What do you think would happen if I just walked up to those guys and asked to buy drugs? Like what would the sequence of events be?They would laugh at you, Annie.
- •Can we take an uber down the street?
- •If we started running, would they just run after us? Like don't you think that would get them all riled up?
- •Haley can we go inside?We were standing outside of the door. Like 20 inches away.
- •Why couldn't we just walk out with everyone else?
- •Have you walked down skid row?
- •What's the difference between the ghetto and the hood?
- •Skid row is post-apocalyptic.Not a question, but still noteworthy. Annie said she'd seen pictures online.