FAVORITE CHRISTMAS CAROLS
aka A Bunch of Christmas Songs In Minor Keys
- •God Rest Ye Merry GentlemenLet's sing about comfort and joy to a haunting melody that highlights the tension between being fallen and being redeemed! Yes!
- •O Come, O Come EmmanuelI was listening to the David Crowder Band's version in the car and I literally started crying, thinking about the church throughout history singing this verse: "Oh Come desire of nations bind / In one the hearts of all mankind / Bid thou our sad divisions cease / And be thyself our king of peace."
- •What Child Is ThisI played a beautiful version of this in orchestra my senior year of high school. It's given me delicious shivers ever since.
- •Mary, Did You KnowHonestly, I don't think we Protestants pay enough attention to Mary, but this song helps with that. Like, how can we begin to fathom the fear and confusion and helplessness and power mixed in this brave and terrified girl? Mary, what did you know?
- •Carol of the BellsThe Barlowgirls version of this song is so *intense* and it gave me major chills growing up.
- •Silent NightCandlelight service. Family. Christmas Eve. There's nothing more powerful to make you think about everything Jesus lost and everything we gained through the Incarnation. Wow.