GOOD, CONCRETE LYRICS FROM MAT KEARNEY ON JUST KIDS
Mat Kearney is a singer/songwriter with an incredible gift for taking intimate details and making universal lyrics out of them. His songs are inclusive in their exclusivity; they make you feel like you Know who he's singing about, that you Are who he's singing to. He is a master of imagery who also happens to have an epic falsetto.
- •I barely had the GPA to make it out of Eugene / You can blame it on me with the ADHD while I'm falling asleep during SATs"Heartbreak Dreamer"
- •I heard you were back with regrets and you meant it / I had a reply to your text, never sent it"Moving On"
- •Mama said we're sixth generation Oregonians / I was rocking them Jordans with reflector tongues"Just Kids"
- •Before I put you in those boxes and we learned how to disagree / And how your family is a rocket that blows up in infidelity"Just Kids"
- •Had me going the very first night / Waved goodbye your keys locked inside"Billion"
- •You put too much salt on everything you eat / Wake up freezing cus I stole the sheets / Talk to the wall, pop your gum in your sleep, you're the only one"Billion"
- •Mama told me angels were watching us in our green Volkswagon van / In the city of hippies and angel dust, singing along to her Amy Grant"One Black Sheep"
- •Packed up in Eugene Oregon, Amtrak wearing soccer cleats / Headed south to California, conference player of the week / At night I dreamed of Graceland, stealing my friend Kyle's guitar"One Black Sheep"
- •Got these three good song chords, the road under my feet"One Black Sheep"
- •I'm still sleeping on my own side / Yeah they said you'd never be prepared for the worst ones"Ghost"
- •Thousand cap room and only eight people came / and five on the guest list were under my name"Los Angeles"
- •I think that's Letterman, he just said my name / Check the crowd at the House of Blues like they're cardboard fakes"Los Angeles"
- •If our love is a hurricane of broken phones and broken doors / Baby you know I can stand the rain, let it lift us off the floor"The Conversation"
- •Running from the blue lights / Jumping trains at midnight / Never more alone or more alive"Shasta"
- •Pocket clutch on the VW / Throwing pebbles at your window / As we roll away in the pouring rain / College Hill water tower lights / Singing out in the holy night / Lord tell me you're not done with me yet"Shasta"
- •But the evergreens and caffeine still remind me of you"Coming Home (Oregon)"