MY FAVORITE LYRICS OF ALL TIME
- •"I look at the side of your face as the sunlight comes streaming through the widow in the autumn sunshine. And all the time going to Coney Island I'm thinking 'Wouldn't it be great if it was like this all the time?'" -"Coney Island", Van MorrisonThis is such a beautiful song, and all of it is spoken. Morrison describes the day he went to Coney Island with his love, and it reminds me that powerful and beautiful memories can be born of simple and understated moments like sunlight streaming through the window on an autumn day
- •"And I know, as we go round and round, though endings are never ever happy, it's the happy moments along the way that in the end make it okay" -"Nobody", Five For FightingThis lyric gets me. What an important perspective on endings and the moments in between.
- •"He died unafraid of the death that left me hypnotized. Now staring at his picture I realize..." -"Sometimes It Snows In April", PrinceThis lyric leads us into an instrumental interlude, so you never know what it is he realizes. Their friendship and his loss is too powerful for words
- •"I've looked at life from both sides now: from win and lose, and still, somehow, it's life's illusion that I recall. I really don't know life, no I really don't know life at all." -"Both Sides Now", Joni MitchellActually Joni can you just punch me in the face? I think that would be simpler? This is such a devastating song and it is so powerful. I don't think it is weakness to remember love and life as being beautiful and dreamlike, even when they disappoint you.
- •"Outside the rain is tapping on the leaves. To me it sounds like they're applauding us, and the quiet love we've made." -"Empty", Ray LaMontagneI love this imagery. Ray Lamontagne is a poet, and this is his best work.
- •"Dying is easy. It's living that scares me to death." "Cold", Annie LennoxIt reminds me of George Washinton's advice in Hamilton. What honesty. Also, sidenote: to me, Annie Lennox's voice is so supernatural and ethereal that I can't imagine an actual person singing it so I just imagine the sound coming from a plume of smoke
- •"I'll close my eyes; then I won't see the love you don't feel when you're holding me." "I Can't Make You Love Me", Bonnie RaittThis is the worst feeling in the world, and Bonnie Raitt captures it perfectly. Her selfishness and selflessness balance each other out in a brutal tug of war in her intentions.
- •"When I look at myself I don't see the man I wanted to be. Somewhere along the line I slipped off track." "One Step Back", Bruce SpringsteenBruce is a great man and a great artist who is able to find humility and admit his wrongs. This song reminds us that sometimes our lives get off unintentionally, but it's our job to right the wrong.
- •"All at once it gets hard to take, hard to fake what I won't be." "Born and Raised", John MayerThis is the album where John Mayer realized he had to do something about his faults. This song is that awakening.