Awesome Queer Ya Books
I use the term "queer" intentionally, though I know that it has uncomfortable associations for some people. I've found it is the most inclusive term to describe a very diverse community.
- •Luna, Julie Ann PetersVery moving story of a young trans woman told through the eyes of her sister.
- •The God Box, Alex SanchezA gay teen comes to terms with his sexuality and his faith. Every gay Christian youth should read it.
- •Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the UniverseSweet love story about two young men coming to terms with their feelings.
- •Two Boys Kissing, David LevithanVery poignant coming of age story, narrated by a Greek chorus of men who died during the AIDS epidemic
- •Almost Perfect, Brian KatcherWhat would you do if the perfect girl moved to town, only to discover she's trans?
- •Annie On My Mind,Young women, first love
- •October Morning, Leslea NewmanThis series of poems details the period of time around the murder if Matthew Shepard. Beautiful and heartbreaking
- •Ash, Melinda LoLesbian Cimderella
- •Beautiful Music for Ugly ChildrenA trans* coming of age story for music lovers
- •The Misfits, James HoweThis is actually one of only three middle grade books I know of that features gay characters
- •Drama, Raina TelgemeierGirl meets boy, boy meets boy...only in the theater department
- •Shine, Lauren MyracleDescribes the aftermath of a hate crime from the point of viewing the best friend of the victim
- •From the Notebooks of Melanin Sun, Jacqueline WoodsonGrowing up is hard enough without finding out your mother is switching teams