SONGS/ALBUMS THAT TRANSPORT ME TO A SPECIFIC TIME AND PLACE
thinking about how cool it is that some things (like music) can trigger such physical, lived-in memories
- •"Come Pick Me Up" - Ryan AdamsSummer 2010, watching the first 2 seasons of Skins. My friendship with J was getting stronger, closer. That night we sat on his back porch and accidentally talked until the sun came up.
- •Heretic Pride - The Mountain GoatsFall 2011, first semester of college. First big, recognizable depression. Parking in the tiny graveled commuter lot. Feeling uncomfortable in jeans and cardigans and too-small tshirts.
- •"Cameo Lover" & "Settle Down" - KimbraSpring 2012, flowers blooming, HIST 150 that I barely got a B in, that blue & white polka dot dress.
- •"Rambling Man" - Laura MarlingSpring 2014, living alone in the house I grew up in. My relationship with L was really getting good. The air was still crisp, but the sun was getting warmer.
- •1989 - Taylor SwiftFall 2014, taking a shower at the Queen St apartment, going to my walking class early in the morning. L and I were trying to be friends after breakup pt. 1. I felt sick with guilt and excitement.
- •"Habits" - Tove LoDec 2014, sweatpants and weed and bed. A perfectly pathetic breakup (pt. 2) song. Disconnected and cold and putting off copy editing work for the journal.
- •Days Are Gone - HAIMJan/Feb 2015, coffee with hazelnut creamer, getting ready for class in the cold morning, my bed with pink sheets in the middle of the room, coming out of the fog.
- •Mamma Mia! film soundtrackJul/Aug 2015, final moving-across-the-country preparations. I had already packed all my CDs, so this was the only thing I listened to for 2 weeks. Esp driving 2 hours to Logansport for C's family's annual hog roast, singing along very, very loudly with the windows down.