FUN WAYS TO STAY SANE WHEN YOU'RE STUCK IN TRAFFIC 🚗🚗🚗
by Laura Kadner ~ Being stuck in a line of cars all trying to make their way to the same general location can feel basically insane. There is no alternate route. There’s absolutely nothing you can do but sit there, right? Wrong! Here are some totally productive things you can do when you’re stuck in traffic. Full story here: http://bit.ly/1R7BwC6
- •Catch Up On Your ReadingReading while driving? That’s crazy and dangerous! Au contraire, mon ami. Welcome to the wonderful world of audiobooks. You’ve been saying you wish you had more time to read and now you do. Believe me, I’ve listened to whole books in the span of a couple weeks just sitting in traffic. And your mind doesn’t get the chance to wander since you’re literally a captive audience. Check out a site like Audible or, my personal favorite, your local library.
- •Get FitYou can’t possibly get in a workout sitting on your butt in a confined space. Oh, except that you can. First of all, start with fixing that posture. Sit up as straight as you can and lift your head, then retract your head so your chin is in line with your shoulders. Hold that for about 30 seconds while slowly inhaling and exhaling. Do that a few times. Then stretch your neck by tilting your head to one side and holding it for about 10 seconds, then do the same to the other. Repeat.
- •Voice Memo MadnessI’m a note taker. I carry around notebooks and make notes with ideas, lists, and more. Just because you can’t pull out your notebook doesn’t mean the organizational fun has to stop. Most phones come with a handy-dandy voice memo tool. It’s super fun to sit and babble out loud to yourself about things you have to do, places you wanna go, or ideas for your latest short story, script, or book. It makes you feel like a regular Agent Dale Cooper.
- •CryingI’ve been so frustrated in traffic that I’ve burst into tears. Who hasn’t? This seems unproductive but can actually be totally wonderful. Channel all the things that are upsetting you in your life into having that good cry. And to those of you shy about crying in public, try shouting. Just make sure your windows are rolled up. After a nice emotional cleansing, you’ll be pleased to see that you feel more relaxed. Just be sure to finish up your cry by playing a favorite good mood song.
- •Make Calls/Set Up AppointmentsLet’s not forget that phones are for more than just texting and taking pictures. Call your friends or your family and catch up! Chances are they’re sitting in traffic like you, wishing they had something to do. You can get and give advice and have a good old-fashioned chat. And if you’re all caught up, see if they want to play a word game, road-trip style. It’s surprisingly fun. Or use the phone to set up all those appointments you’ve been putting off.
- •Try and Learn All the Words to a SongI can’t count how many times an entire party seems to know every word to some ridiculous pop song of which I only know about two lines. So take your traffic time to finally learn that dumb song everybody loves, including yourself. I may or may not have learned all of ‘Let it Go’ thanks to the clogged up on ramp of the 405. And once you’ve learned one song, try an album!
- •Clean Out Your Purse…Or CarTake a garbage bag in the car with you and next time you’re stuck, go through your bag and throw out all those old receipts, all those useless business cards, the scrap of paper with the wad of petrified gum in it, everything! Look under the passenger seat and gather up your prized collection of water bottles, the old Taco Bell bag, anything that has a strange smell emanating from it. You’ll most likely be pleasantly surprised by how many hair bands you find.