RELATIONSHIP GOALS I LEARNED FROM ‘ELF' 🎄
by Mary Grace Garis ~ Grab my hand and join me as I recap everything Elf taught me about window gazing, coffee dates, and “the code” (wink). Read the full story here: http://bit.ly/1UeERwY
- •A great way to bond with your crush is by singing together.When Buddy first meets Jovie he mistakes her decorating as having an “affinity for elf culture” when really she’s like, nah, bro, just trying to get through the holidays. Their next encounter is a bit more serendipitous. Despite Jovie’s insistence that she’s not much of singer, Buddy catches her doing a rendition of “Baby, It’s Cold Outside” and he joins in on the duet. How sweet. Hey, singing worked for the cast of White Christmas, and it almost works here. Almost.
- •Another great way to bond with your crush is by lurking in the bathroom while they shower.No, though.
- •Earnestness is sometimes strangely effective.I’ll cop that Buddy breaks his Gimbel’s ban for a cute reason: to ask out Jovie. And he does it in a precious, totally honest way. “I really wanted to see you, and…and I think you’re beautiful, and I, um…I feel really warm when I am around you. And, um, my tongue swells up,” he stammers, before adding, “So…do you wanna go eat food?”
- •If you’re taking someone out on a date, it’s good to have some ideas. Bonus points if they are holly and/or jolly ideas.Whenever “You Make Me Feel So Young” starts playing my heart bursts, because Buddy and Jovie’s date montage is a level of adorableness I legitimately can’t comprehend. Taste-testing the world’s best cup of coffee? Skipping hand and hand, looking at Christmas trees? Skating in Rockefeller Center? I am mystified, genuinely mystified by this veritable melange of perfect yuletide activities, culminating with that “You missed!” kiss on the ice.
- •The right person for you brings out your best qualities…and helps you overcome your fears.Jovie is introduced as guarded, and more than a little self-conscious about publicly singing. You, me, and everyone who owns A She & Him Christmas know there’s no reason she should be so insecure. But it’s Buddy who urges her to pipe up, declaring, “I think you have the most beautiful singing voice in the whole wide world.” It’s with his encouragement that she’s later able to lead civilians in a day-saving rendition of “Santa Claus Is Coming To Town.” All together now: awwwww!