Negotiation (Very Open List)
There are some great negotiators on this app. I would love to hear their wisdom. I will bait them with opinions I took away from winning and losing some small negotiations
- •You win when you know exactly what you wantWhen you know exactly what will be a win, what will be a loss, what's for you an acceptable middle.
- •You usually win when you know more than the other person
- •You lose when you're not exactly sure what's at stake or what is most important
- •You lose when you're not clear about what you're negotiating about
- •You win for real if both sides leave happy
- •You lose even if you win but the other side feels truly pissed or taken advantage of
- •You lose if you get emotional
- •You will win if ultimately it isn't that important to you
- •You will walk away happy either way if you admire the other person and accept that the other person is honest and well-intentioned and negotiating in good faith.
- •You'll be fine if you can feel confident this is the first of lots of good faith negotiations with this party
- •You'll both do better if you respect each other
- •The person who wants less gets what they want (especially relevant in relationship negotiations)Suggested by @bjnovak
- •Your negotiating power is dependent on how much you value your next best option if you don't reach an agreementKnown as "BATNA" - Best Alternative to a Negotiated Agreement. If you have many good options, you have a lot of leverage.Suggested by @gabe
- •The person who asks the most questions has all the powerSuggested by @clairewentthere