FIVE INCREDIBLE SONGS I HEARD ON SHUFFLE TODAY WHILE DRIVING WITH THE WINDOWS DOWN
Call me crazy but I think music is great. While I was driving around today I heard five songs in a row that gave me feelings. Here are my thoughts about them.
- •Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria BluesThis song and this album are incredible. Laura Jane Grace's story is amazing and everyone should read it and be stunned by her power and her boldness and her awesomeness. "You want them to notice / The ragged ends of your summer dress / You want them to see you like they see every other girl / They just see a faggot / They hold their breath not to catch the sick." It's heartbreaking and beautiful and she sings it perfectly. My favorite album of 2014.
- •The Fall - Allison WeissThis is a song about being in love as a teenager and it so perfectly captures that feeling that it's kind of scary. If you have seen the Pixar movie Inside Out, this song is like if you turned the big idea of that movie into a song; happy memories touched by sadness. Recently while a little drunk I mentioned this theory to Allison Weiss. While she was on stage. "We used to make such a great team / But I was looking for love and we were 18 / I didn't know what I wanted but I wanted you."
- •Somebody To Love - Kacey MusgravesA perfect example of matching music with lyrics in a way that elevates both. Kacey Musgraves is a matter songwriter and this song shows why. When you listen to it, it almost sounds like just a list of cliches that anybody could have come up with. But that's what makes great songwriting, er, great. The people who are the best at it make it look so easy. "We're all paper we're all scissors / We're all fighting with our mirrors / Scared we'll never find somebody to love."
- •Under Bridges - Brave Saint SaturnThis song basically got me kicked out of a church that I attended for many years. I wanted to play it in front of the congregation but was told the people weren't ready for the message. Nevermind that is just a rewording of Christ's own words in Matthew 25. I've moved on from that world but this song is still a beautiful picture of what Christianity could look like. "So different from his pictures / Breathing air through yellow tubes / Jesus Christ dying of AIDS / can look right through you."
- •Begin Again - Purity RingWell I have no idea what this song is about but it's beautiful and it makes me feel some type of way. Sometimes I like when lyrics are so obtuse that they could mean almost anything. This song has meant different things to me at different times I've heard it. This whole album is great. "You be the moon I'll be the earth and when we burst / start over / oh darling / begin again." I'm like "huh?" But I'm also like "yeah I feel you." Music, man.