Family Questions/comments at Thanksgiving
As a college junior, single and running DI cross country/track, the questions start rolling as soon as I sit down.... Thankfully, this year is a small family gathering, hopefully minimizing some of these:
- •"My how you've grown up!"I've never understood the proper response to such a comment, but I nod and say: "yes" awkwardly.
- •"How's school?"Crazy. Hectic. Fun. But I can't explain all that in a cordial exchange, so "good" will suffice.
- •"What's your major?"Strategic communications.
- •"Cool! Uh....What is that?"99% of the time, people haven't heard of Strat comm., so I must then explain what it is.
- •"You're at ________ right?"Ohio State, Miami, Ball State (fill in the blank). To which I answer: "no, I go to Butler!" This is always followed up with a question about where Butler is. "Indianapolis," I say with an all-too-sarcastic smile😂😑
- •"How are you?"Boy do I hate this question! No one ever expects you to be truthful, and they would be shocked if I actually opened up about my struggles and successes this semester. Good thing my close family members already know this stuff.
- •"Any interesting boys...?"Yes. There's a kid in my Spanish class who is constantly chancing Facebook in class and used to play rugby. Although, that's probably not the "interesting" they were looking for. 😐🤓